Pinewood Derby 2018
CAR KIT & RULES DISTRIBUTION
Tues. Nov 14, 2017
Location: Pack 216 Pack Meeting
Sat. Dec 9, 2017, 9:00AM–11:00AM Location: 121 Park Oaks Ct. Cary, NC
An opportunity to ask about the rules and get car construction tips from an experienced Cub Scout leader.
Sat. Feb 03, 2018, 9:00AM–11:00AM Location: 121 Park Oaks Ct. Cary, NC
This is a chance to unofficially check cars against templates and for proper weight.
Sat. Feb 10, 2018, 10:00AM–4:00PM Location: Parish Center
CROSSWINDS DISTRICT RACE
Sat. March 3, 2018
Location: Cary Town Center Mall
Rules and Information
Race Day Schedule (February, 10, 2018)
Be Ready for Inspection
Take advantage of one of the early unofficial inspections to be sure your car is legal. Be sure to read and understand all of the rules. The following items are common errors that have been found at race check-in.
- Use the kit: You must use the block and nails provided in the kit. You can supplement, but not replace these items. Official BSA wheels, like those in the kit, must be used. Official BSA wheels in various colors are available at the scout store. It is legal to replace the wheels in your kit with official BSA wheels purchased at the scout store. Note: BSA Licensed Wheels (like those sold at craft stores) do not qualify, and many experts consider those wheels to be inferior (slower) anyways.
- Weight: Faster cars will weigh 5.00 ounces. Add metal to your car to get it close to, but not over 5 ounces.
- Length: The car must be less than or equal to 7 inches long. The block provided is slightly longer than that. Cut or sand off enough so the finished racer, with added paint, will still be no more than 7 inches long.
- Axles: The axles must be visible for inspection, for example through the pre-cut slots.
- Wheels: All four wheels must touch the track. Keep the wheels and axles on the same plane.
There are many good sources of design tips on the internet, but be sure to pay attention to our pack rules. Some of the tips you'll find might violate our rules.
- Official BSA Pinewood Derby Site
- Design tips and other guidance for parents
- Design tips and project management guidance for parents
- Sample designs (NOTE: Pre-cut PWD cars for example purposes; They are not allowed in our races)
- Pictures of 100 actual PWD cars from other scouts
Don't Forget - HAVE FUN!
Click here to VOLUNTEER FOR 2018 PACK 216 PINEWOOD DERBY
Pinewood Derby Committee Chair
Sign up by January 31st for the Race