Pinewood Derby 2017
2017 ScheduleKit Distribution
Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Pack Meeting
Thursday, December 10, 2016 10:30 to 12:00 pm
Location: Trinity Center - Top Floor
Pre-race Weigh In
Saturday, January 21, 2017, 10:30 to 12:00 pm
Location: St. Michael's Conference Center, Room 3
Saturday, January 28, 2016, 10:00am - 4:00pm
St. Michael's Parish Center
Crosswinds District Race
Saturday, March 4, 2017
Cary Town Center Mall
Rules and Information
Race Day Schedule (January 28, 2017)
Be Ready for Inspection
Take advantage of one of the early unofficial inspections to be sure your car is legal. Be sure to read and understand all of the rules. The following items are common errors that have been found at race check-in.
- Use the kit: You must use the block and nails provided in the kit. You can supplement, but not replace these items. Official BSA wheels, like those in the kit, must be used. Official BSA wheels in various colors are available at the scout store. It is legal to replace the wheels in your kit with official BSA wheels purchased at the scout store. Note: BSA Licensed Wheels (like those sold at craft stores) do not qualify, and many experts consider those wheels to be inferior (slower) anyways.
- Weight: Faster cars will weigh 5.00 ounces. Add metal to your car to get it close to, but not over 5 ounces.
- Length: The car must be less than or equal to 7 inches long. The block provided is slightly longer than that. Cut or sand off enough so the finished racer, with added paint, will still be no more than 7 inches long.
- Axles: The axles must be visible for inspection, for example through the pre-cut slots.
- Wheels: All four wheels must touch the track. Keep the wheels and axles on the same plane.
There are many good sources of design tips on the internet, but be sure to pay attention to our pack rules. Some of the tips you'll find might violate our rules.
- Official BSA Pinewood Derby Site
- Design tips and other guidance for parents
- Design tips and project management guidance for parents
- Sample designs (NOTE: Pre-cut PWD cars for example purposes; They are not allowed in our races)
- Pictures of 100 actual PWD cars from other scouts
Sign up by January 21st for the Race